onsdag 10 november 2010

Communication is the key



The verb for want and need is the same in Nepali. There are ways around it but generally this creates confusion, especially for me as a bideshi(foreigner). Do you need to go see your sister and Do you want want to go see you sister might mean different things where I come from but I am beginning to see that there are situations here when the same two headed verb can be used. I find it interesting that the question are you married should be answered with "not yet" in order not be impolite and that do you want/need to get married is not really a very interesting question here. As almost everybody gets married and stay married for life.

These things were contemplated by me, J and S when we sat in the sun outside the DAFUO(Dalit Women Upliftment Center) office early this morning, eager to have a first language exchange with the Dalit women. We were joined by a guy/third gender s/he from the Blue Diamond Society. I am not intentionally trying to either make fun of an identity nor be funny but I honestly don't know what is a proper term for the members of BDS. Being referred to as her or didi(sister)often seem to be insulting. Probably because defining yourself in this manner means exactely what it says, nor man nor female. Or both. Or queer. Or whatever. Either way we were handed some information about BDS, including a small leaflet with very nice colour photos of what a STD can look like. Up close. Surely very....effective for its purposes but maybe not the best way to learn Nepali.

In the end the DAFUO women did not turn up but we had a nice cup up tea, and we did opened our books but decided after a while that the office probably needed us more and walked back through town. Found out later that the president had tried to get a hold of us but not suceeded. And we were told in a stern Nepali phone voice that her phone was switched off. Which may or may not be true. What is true is that mobile coverage is a constant struggle here, I am so use to it by now that I don't even think twice about having to call a person 15 times before I actually get through. I am also use to all kinds of interference on the line, hearing other people talking and receiving interesting messages such as "result unknown" when I send a sms. A part of me always wonder where these messages end up. The internet comes and goes, last week my computer told me it would take 21 days to down load a season of True Blood. :)

Inga kommentarer: