onsdag 17 mars 2010

The triangular alarm of the Midwest

I have now transitioned to the office of my NGO in the Midwest. Right now our Madeshi neigbours are having a small celebration. A nine day puja(religious ritual)at the hindi tempel to be more exact. This was not exactely what I expected when I talked about experiencing different religions but now I am part of it in a very practical way. Generally there is no need for an alarm in the morning. The local mosque wakes me around half past five(I like the man read-singing the prayers more than the woman but she is ok if not always on key), followed by the nearest hindu tempel followed by the trumpets in the army compound. These days though, we are now on day three,the puja is a constant backdrop of sound from early morning. The people performing and participating in the puja seem to take a rest during the day. Then the music, chanting, bhajan is a again being broadcasted across town. Wishing for a sleep in is thus not really on the agenda. But Nepalis are early risers, maybe even more so here in the countryish Terai near the Indian border. A part of Nepal also known for the fertile grounds and the ability to grow food and rear animals to sustain other regions of more hilly nature in Nepal. So, pondering the fact that I might need a little adjusting to the daily routines of people and the level of noice I am also fashinated by the different ways of organising a society where many different people live very closely together.

Inga kommentarer: