fredag 19 februari 2010

Even a moustasch will not stop the mouth from eating

Going through a list of Nepali proverbs but couldn't guess this one. Was told it meant that if you really decided to do something, nothing can stop you which...I guess makes sense.

I have come to the end of my language course. Now I actually do speak a little bit Nepali. Hardly in complete sentences full of intricate ironic meaning the way I would like it but more along the line of trying to order the correct food, tell the shop owner I want a lower price or THAT English paper instead of the one I was given. Many, if not most Nepalis I come across do speak a decent level of English these days so being understood is never really an issue here in Kathmandu.

On wednesday I move out of mero ekdam ramro Newari pariwaar, my very nice Newari family that is. I will miss the thin and high house, wide enough for my bead to fit sideways and tall enough with its seven floors to see over most other houses in the area of Laagan. The open rooftop has been a refuge to just sit or do yoga or eat breakfast and just observe the daily life from another angle. When the sun comes out(which it does most days except for the Shiva Ratri festival last week when the sky literally opened and it wouldn't stop pouring for almost two days straight), lids are liften and people of all age ans sizes crawl up on the corregated roofs and a separate life is lived up there. The wash is being hung, hair is washed and dried(houses have very little central heating if any), puppies are being played with and the occasional hen or rooster walk around high up in the air minding their own business. Mostly people just seem to take a break in the sun, maybe sorting though the chilis , flowers or herbs that are often left to dry in the sun before being eaten.

After 5 weeks I now also know that many brothers, fathers, uncles or in our case, little brother and grandfather are minding and playing with the young ones. My language teacher is never far away from her baby but even a mother needs to sleep and the youngest one of our household is being coo'ed, carried, fed, sunbathed on the roof and generally just held and loved but all other family members but especially the men of the family. It is lovely to see, and I imagine just a part of life in this family as in many other Neplai families. When you marry the woman generally moves into the husbands home and become a part of the household, even if she of course still might visit her old home. Old folks homes doesn't exist I have been told, you just make room for young and old family members, regardless of age.

Inga kommentarer: