onsdag 7 april 2010

Blues of a lesbian cop part I & II




The headline stood out as I was leafing through a two week old copy of Republica: Blues of a lesbian cop in not a common headline in a Nepali newspaper. After the initial confusion I understood that traffic police woman Rubina Hussein had been charged with abduction and sexual abuse of 17 year old Pujan Basnet. And while the Nepali Supreme Court had ordered the arrest of Hussein and brought Basnet in for a deposition, Rubinas version of the truth differed considerably. And no wonder, as she stated "She is my live-in girlfriend; we are had over head over heels in love. The sexual relationship was concentual. They arrested and suspended me in a misuse of power".

Now I am getting more than a little confused. I know that homosexuality in Nepal was legalized in 2007, later than in many other countries but still. I also know that gay marriage is on the table being discussed as being part of the constitution writing that is suppose to be finished on May 28 2010. And I had heard of The Blue Diamond Society, a Nepali organisation working for sexual minorities founded by Sir Elton John.

So, why is she described wearing handcuffs? Why is she arrested....? Or is she arrested or only in custody? Reading on I realize that Pujans family charged her with kidnapping and claimed it was because Rubina was keeping her without the consent of Pujans family. Seriously now. According to Nepali law, Pujan is no longer a minor.

Yesterday, March 5 Hussein was still in custody but the Kathmandu District Court ordered the police to release her on bail of Rs 15,000. She has been charged with kidnapping and sexual abuse. The judge commented this by saying that "She was released on bail as I saw no case of abduction but I reached the conclusion that Rubina kept the 17 year old in the room with the approval of the latter's guardian". Hussein is to appear in court on April 30th.

Now I am really confused. It is not a case of abduction? Why the high bail? What is accused of?

But of course I know that being a lesbian in Nepal is difficult and sometimes very dangerous. Nepal is not a liberal western country and while I have no illusions of the latter I wish Rubina and Hussein all the best and hope that they will come out of this ordeal stronger even though I doubt it. I'll keep you posted.

Links to those interested in how the story unfolded in Nepali press,

The Himalayan Times


...which by the way ends with “What Rubina did was against Nepal Police Act-2049 BS. She will be dismissed from service and disqualified from holding any government post" the police officer said. And this while the case is still under investigation.

3 kommentarer:

Unknown sa...

OMG OMG OMG! Craaaaazy....

crocs without borders sa...

Yes! Crazy. Lost her girl friend,her job or rather career, have to face a high bail after time in custody and it ain't over yet.

Din vän sa...

Happy to get the link to your blog. I got if from some of the friends here in Sthlm.
I will follow the blog now.
Looking forward to hear more from you when you arrive to Sw. againg.